Questions to Ask Your Criminal Defense Lawyer
If you need a lawyer to defend you against criminal charges, you cannot afford to make the wrong choice. You must do your research on the person you’re considering to represent you. If you wouldn’t hire just anybody to remodel your house or work on your car, you certainly shouldn’t hire just anyone to protect your liberty, your reputation, and your future. To avoid hiring the wrong attorney, there are a few questions you should ask the lawyer you’re considering:
- How long have you been practicing? In the legal profession, there is no substitute for experience. A lawyer builds poise, confidence, rhetorical skill, knowledge, and relationships within the justice system only through practice.
- How many cases like mine have you handled? In addition to seeking a lawyer with general experience, you want someone who has had success with cases similar to yours. A good DUI lawyer is not necessarily your best bet to handle an assault charge.
- How many tough cases have you taken to trial? Don’t be too surprised if the number is low, because the vast majority of criminal cases are resolved through plea bargains. That said, a lawyer can’t bargain effectively unless the prosecution knows he or she is capable of going to court and winning a tough case.
- What are the legal options in my case? You want to avoid attorneys who are ready to sell one available strategy without fully informing you of all your options. Lawyers who have a rigid mindset are liable to overlook small facts that could influence your case.
- What was the biggest mistake you made in practice, and what did you learn from it? Experience is the best teacher, but only if the student is willing to learn. This question will help you to gauge your attorney’s sincerity and dedication to service.
If you’ve been arrested, it’s important to know you are not without options. Choosing your attorney wisely is the best thing you can do to improve your chances of a favorable outcome.
The Giatras Law Firm, PLLC in Charleston, West Virginia is a respected law firm known for aggressive defense representation. Call us or contact our firm online to schedule a free consultation.