West Virginia Consumer Fraud Attorneys in Charleston Represents Victims
Respected West Virginia law firm helps fraud victims recover compensation
Consumer fraud occurs when a person experiences a loss as a result of another party’s deceptive or unfair practices. Victims of consumer fraud in West Virginia often have to contend with a great deal of financial uncertainty, along with anger and shame. It is not uncommon for victims to lose their entire life savings. The Charleston, WV consumer fraud attorneys at The Giatras Law Firm, PLLC help victims of consumer fraud and their families obtain financial recovery for their losses.
Dedicated WV consumer fraud lawyers represent clients duped by criminals and businesses
Consumer fraud can take many different forms. Common types in West Virginia are:
- Identity theft — A crime of identity theft can impact you in a number of ways, causing financial devastation and chaos in your personal life. If your bank account information, Social Security number or other identifying information was stolen, we can help you seek financial damages from those responsible for the theft or for negligent handling of the data.
- Debt collection fraud — Fraudulent debt collection involves false claims that you owe money. Scammers may go to great lengths to convince you that you will face terrible consequences if you do not pay up. If you handed over money or personal information to a fake creditor, our attorneys will work to recoup your losses.
- Deceptive business practices — West Virginia law prohibits a number of unfair methods of competition and unfair or deceptive acts or practices by a business. These include creating a likelihood of confusion about a product or deal offered, disparaging the goods of another business and making deceptive representations about a product’s geographic origin.
- False advertising — A business engages in false advertising when it makes unsubstantiated claims about a product or service in order to drive sales. If you purchased goods or services after being misled by an advertisement, you may be entitled to compensation.
- Insurance and mortgage fraud — Some unethical mortgage professionals and fake insurance agents prey upon people in vulnerable situations, including those facing financial hardship and the possibility of foreclosure. Our attorneys take action against individuals and companies who sell bogus policies and offer illegitimate loan modifications.
Our firm offers responsive and consistent support to victims of consumer fraud, many of whom are senior citizens and young people. We provide step-by-step guidance through the process of establishing that fraud occurred and holding offenders accountable.
Experienced West Virginia consumer fraud lawyers help file complaints
The Consumer Protection Division of the Office of the Attorney General deals with complaints of consumer fraud in West Virginia. To report an instance of fraud, you may fill out and submit a General Consumer Complaint Form online or by mail.
Filing a complaint is just the first step. When you suspect or discover that a business unlawfully took advantage of you, you should consult with a skilled consumer fraud attorney for advice on the possible ways to retrieve your lost money and any other relevant damages. West Virginia’s statute of limitations requires that civil lawsuits be brought within two years of the alleged fraudulent action.
We assist clients with consumer fraud lawsuits in circuit courts and small claims courts in West Virginia. Our attorneys skillfully build cases, present evidence, refute defenses and argue for appropriate relief.
Contact our Charleston, West Virginia consumer fraud attorneys for a free initial consultation
The West Virginia consumer fraud attorneys at The Giatras Law Firm, PLLC represent victims of identity theft, deceptive advertising and loan fraud. To schedule your free initial consultation with our office, call 888-819-1281 or contact us online.