Go to main navigation
118 Capitol Street, Suite 400, Charleston, West Virginia 25301

West Virginia Attorneys Protect Your Rights as a Student

We represent students facing suspension or expulsion

Students make mistakes, and school officials sometimes go too far in punishing them. When students are unnecessarily suspended or expelled from school, they lose out on important educational opportunities. Located in Charleston, The Giatras Law Firm, PLLC can help your family address unjustified punishments so your child can get back in the classroom.

We challenge improper suspensions and expulsions

While our West Virginia public schools do noble work, bureaucratic rigidity can lead to excessive punishments for students who don’t tow the line. In this era of zero-tolerance policies, a student might be expelled over a minor fight or drug-related offense, with no consideration of the circumstances.

If your child has been suspended or expelled for any of the following offenses, The Giatras Law Firm, PLLC can help:

  • Fighting in school
  • Weapon on school property

You are entitled to a hearing and a lawyer when you’re expelled

Under West Virginia law, schools must follow certain procedures when handing out suspensions of more than 10 days, including:

  • The student’s parents or guardians must be informed in writing of the charges against the child, including a summary of the evidence on which the charges are based.
  • Upon request of the student, parent or guardian, a formal hearing must be scheduled before the county board of education.
  • Students are entitled to be represented or advised during the proceedings by a person of their choosing, including legal counsel.
  • Students are entitled to be given a reasonable time to prepare for the hearing.

In the case of expulsion, the student also has a right to present witnesses and question witnesses at the hearing.

If your child has been unjustly suspended or expelled from a public school, contact us online or call us at 888-819-1281 to learn how The Giatras Law Firm, PLLC can help.